Lessons from the Past an oral history of Women in Lancashire
What's this all about?
In June 2010 a group of students from Lostock Hall High School were awarded a substantial grant from the 'Heritage Lottery Fund - Young Roots' to fund an innovative oral history project; Lessons from the Past.
Lessons from the Past has five core aims:
- To enable young people to explore their local history and heritage and conduct specialist enquires to tackle the issues that they face in a meaningful way i.e. (self-esteem, racism, underachievement of boys, anti-social behaviour etc).
- To motivate and empower young people to safeguard local heritage and improve inter-generational relations in their local communities.
- To provide an oral history model in terms of training, support and equipment that can be adopted by other schools to enable more young people to look to their local history to find the answers to the problems that they face.
- To create a central archive of diverse evidence, generated by young people, which can be accessed by the general public as well as by schools and that is designed to be accessible to school children from across all of the key stages and applicable in a variety of subjects including, History, English, ICT, PSHE and Geography.
- To improve pupil attainment and young peoples' awareness of their local history and the overall importance of History and its standing in education.
Connecting life today with life in the past ECM History learning objective 2011